Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Aldergrove (Village and Post Office) adopted in the 1930 BC Gazetteer; confirmed 12 December 1939 on 92 SE. Form of name changed to Aldergrove (Community) 15 December 1982 on 92 G/1.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
Alder Grove (2 words) Post Office opened 1 October 1885, Edward Whyman, postmaster. Named because of the dense alder groves found by early settlers. By the early 1920's, the 1-word form "Aldergrove" was favoured by residents.
Source: Provincial Archives of BC "Place Names File" compiled 1945-1950 by A.G. Harvey from various sources, with subsequent additions
In all probability there was a great fire in the 1840's or early '50's, with a resulting growth of dense alder groves. Hence the name, since the early settlers had to cut their way through them. This is likely because, while a typical alder bottom is in a valley, they grow in profusion after a fire, in a situation such as this. (1923 information from Mr. LeFeuvre, Municipal Clerk, and Mr. J.W. Winson, former Municipal Clerk, Aldergrove)
Source: Nelson, Denys; Place Names of the Delta of the Fraser River; 1927, unpublished manuscript held in the Provincial Archives