Penny

Feature Type:Locality - A named place or area, generally with a scattered population of 50 or less.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: NE side of Fraser River at Redmountain Creek, E of Prince George, Cariboo Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 53°51'00''N, 121°17'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 93H/14

Origin Notes and History:

Penny (Post Office) adopted in the 1930 BC Gazetteer, as labelled on BC map 1G, 1916. Confirmed 4 September 1958 on 93H/14. Form of name changed to Penny (Locality) 28 February 1983 on 93H/14.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Grand Trunk Pacific Railway's station, called Penny, opened here in 1914; Penny Post Office opened 1 February 1916, situated on NE 1/4 Lot 5500, Nels Pederson postmaster; subsequently relocated to SW 1/4 Lot 5496 (date not cited).

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Station burned in 1947 and was replaced by a station originally built in Lindup in 1914 and moved to Penny; station building moved to Prince George Railway Museum in 1988. Meaning/significance not known ("Postscript '90: 75 Years of Postal History in the Fraser-Fort George Region", Fraser-Fort George Museum Society, 1990.)

Source: included with note