Origin Notes and History:
Adopted 28 July 1945 on C.3579, as labelled on British Admiralty Chart 579, 1863 et seq.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
Named in 1860 by Captain G.H. Richards, RN, after Daniel Pender, RN ( - 1891). Pender arrived on this coast as second master of the the survey vessel Plumper, 9 November 1857; served as master of the Plumper and the Hecate; commander of the Beaver (hired from Hudson's Bay Company for hydrographic work), 1863-70; assistant, Hydrographic Office, London, 1871-84.......
Source: Walbran, John T; British Columbia Coast Names, 1592-1906: their origin and history; Ottawa, 1909 (republished for the Vancouver Public Library by J.J. Douglas Ltd, Vancouver, 1971)