Mayne Island

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: NW side of Mayne Island, facing Active Pass, Cowichan Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 48°51'04''N, 123°17'59''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92B/14

Origin Notes and History:

Mayne (Post Office) adopted 12 December 1939, as labelled on BC Lands' map 2A, 1913 et seq. Form of name changed to Mayne (community) 29 November 1984 on Ottawa file 203-2. Form of name changed to Mayne Island (community) 19 November 2012, as requested by Islands Trust and endorsed by residents' groups and area representatives including Ratepayers Association, regional government, and elected provincial & federal representatives.

Source: BC place name cards, files, correspondence and/or research by BC Chief Geographer/Geographical Names Office.

Plumper Pass Post Office was opened 1 November 1880; renamed Mayne Post Office 1 April 1900.

Source: BC place name cards, files, correspondence and/or research by BC Chief Geographer/Geographical Names Office.

The island was named c1860 by Captain Richards after Lieutenant Richard Charles Mayne, RN, engaged in hydrographic surveys on this coast 1857-1861; died 1892.... [see Walbran for additional biographical detail]

Source: Walbran, John T; "British Columbia Coast Names, 1592-1906: Their Origin and History"; published for the Geographic Board of Canada, Ottawa, 1909 (republished for the Vancouver Public Library by J.J. Douglas Ltd, Vancouver, 1971)

Lieutenant Mayne's journal, 17 February 1857 - 31 December 1860 (while he was aboard HMS Plumper under Capt Richards), is held at the Provincial Archives (manuscript E/B/M45; also a typed transcript E/B/M45A). Lieut. Mayne's book "Four years in British Columbia and Vancouver Island: an account of their forests, rivers, coasts, gold-fields, and resources for colonisation" was published at London in 1862.

Source: BC place name cards, files, correspondence and/or research by BC Chief Geographer/Geographical Names Office.