Fort Nelson

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: W of junction of Muskwa and Fort Nelson Rivers, Peace River Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 58°48'20''N, 122°41'50''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 94J/15

Origin Notes and History:

Muskwa (Settlement) adopted in this location 27 December 1944 on 94NE; name rescinded 17 January 1951 on NTS 94. Muskwa (Post Office) adopted 11 December 1952 on 94NE. Name changed to Fort Nelson (Post Office) 8 November 1957 on 94J/15. Incorporated as a Village Municipality 8 April 1971; Fort Nelson (Village) confirmed 17 August 1978 on 94J/15. Re-incorporated as a Town Municipality, effective 31 October 1987 per Letters Patent; confirmed 28 June 1988 on 94J/15. Letters Patent for the Town of Fort Nelson are revoked effective 6 February 2009. [at the same time, the new Northern Rockies Regional Municipality was incorporated, encompassing the same boundary as the former Northern Rockies Regional District, including the Fort Nelson area.] Form of name changed to Fort Nelson (community) 6 February 2009.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Muskwa Post Office was opened in this location 16 April 1942, situated on Lot 1591. Fort Nelson Post Office (previously located at 58 48 x 122 43 - todays Old Fort Nelson) was relocated here 9 January 1958, following a shift in the focal point of trade in the area.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Founded in 1805...apparently named after Horatio, Lord Nelson (1758-1805), the British naval hero.

Source: Akrigg, Helen B. and Akrigg, G.P.V; 1001 British Columbia Place Names; Discovery Press, Vancouver 1969, 1970, 1973.