Franklin Camp

Feature Type:Former Locality - A once-populated place with no current population, or that is usually uninhabited
Status:
Relative Location: Surrounding Franklin Mountain, NE of junction of Granby River and Burrell Creek, N of Grand Forks (city), Similkameen Division Yale Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°34'00''N, 118°20'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 82E/9

Origin Notes and History:

Identified in BC Department of Mines Reports from 1900 to 1936. Franklin Post Office was opened 1 December 1906, B. LeQuime postmaster; closed 30 October 1907. Geological Survey sheets 97A and 133A, both titled Franklin Mining Camp, published in 1914. Origin/significance of name not recorded.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"Franklin Camp is situated at the headwaters of the east fork of the north fork of Kettle River [since named Burrell Creek] and 45 miles northeasterly from Grand Forks, the nearest shipping point on the Golumbia and Western Railway. It is reached by a good Government trail, built this summer up the valley of the Kettle River..." (report by John Coryell, PLS, excerpted in 1900 BC Mines Report, pp.871 - 874.) "The camp is traversed by Blue Joint, Gloucester and Franklin Creeks as well as by the east fork of Kettle River... Numerous mineral claims have been located, and of these the best known at the present time are the Banner, McKinley, Glouster, and Polard..." (ibid). See also 1906 BC Mines Report p.186, 187.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office