BC Geographical Names

Name Details:

Name: Mount Blanshard
Feature TypeClick here for a list of
Feature Types.
:
Mount - Variation of Mountain: Mass of land prominently elevated above the surrounding terrain, bounded by steep slopes and rising to a summit and/or peaks. [if "Mount" precedes the name, usually indicates that the feature is named after a person.
StatusClick here for an explanation of Status.: Official
Relative Location: SE side of Pitt Lake at N end of Maple Ridge (municipality), New Westminster Land District
Latitude-LongitudeClick here for an explanation of Position Type.: 49°21'46''N, 122°30'26''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
DatumClick here for an explanation of Datum.: NAD83
NTS MapClick here for an explanation of NTS Map.: 92G/7
Related MapClick here for an explanation of Related Maps.: 92G/7
92G/8
  Nearby names within
  

Origin Notes and History:

"Blanchard Mountain (not Golden Ears)" adopted in the 4th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 30 June 1902. Spelling changed to "Blanshard Mountain (not Blanchard nor Golden Ears)" in the 5th Report, 30 June 1904. Re-approved 14 August 1952 on 92/SE.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
Named in 1859 by Captain Richards, RN, after Richard Blanshard, governor of Vancouver Island 1850-51. Richard's 1860 chart labels "Mt. Blanchard [sic] or the Golden Ears". Lieutenant Mayne's "Four Years in British Columbia and Vancouver Island", 1862, refers to ".....the beautiful peaks known as the Golden Ears....." (p.86). Still labelled "Golden Ears" on BC map 2B, 1914.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
Blanshard Peak (1550m), Golden Ears (2 peaks, 1701m and 1716m) and Edge Peak (1680m) are part of Mount Blanshard.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
First ascent (eastern face of NE peak) credited to Sam Edge of Port Haney, and a companion, 1876.
Source: Provincial Archives of BC "Place Names File" compiled 1945-1950 by A.G. Harvey from various sources, with subsequent additions