Whulk

Feature Type:Former First Nation Village - A place formerly inhabited by First Nations' people, with no current population or that is usually uninhabited.
Status:
Relative Location: Mouth of Nimpkish River, SE of Port McNeill, Rupert Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°34'15''N, 126°59'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 92L/10

Origin Notes and History:

Translation: "(logs) place crosswise". The name has also been written xwalkw. Another name for the location is Cheslakees. This is a place of origin, and an old village site utilized by the Nimpkish.

Source: Museum at Campbell River (spring 2001)

Whulk is the place of origin for some Nimpkish groups (Boas 1935:36). The transformer Q!a'neqe lak married the daughter of Gwa' nalalis at Whulk, and Gwa' nalalis was later transformed into the river gwa' ne [the Nimpkish River] (Boas 1934:24). Both Vancouver and Galiano mention the village; at the time of their visit in 1792 there were 34 houses here. The population estimates made by various members of the British and Spanish expedition ranged from 200 to 900. IR#3 Cheslakees alloted in 1886; the name said to refer to the leading chief of the village at the time of Vancouver's visit, although attempts to correlate "Cheslakees" with names documented in oral histories have been unsuccessful.

Source: Museum at Campbell River (spring 2001)

Published references to this site (including maps): Boas, Franz, "Geographical Names of the Kwakiutl Indians" Columbia University Contributions to Anthropology 20, New York, 1934 (map 8a/2); and Galois, Robert, "Kwakwaka'wakw Settlements, 1775 - 1920: A geographical analysis and Gazeteer" UBC Press, Vancouver, 1994 (map Nm 11).

Source: Museum at Campbell River (spring 2001)