Bradian

Feature Type:Abandoned Locality - A previously populated place with no current population.
Status:
Relative Location: SE side of Bralorne, N of Pemberton, Lillooet Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°46'10''N, 122°47'30''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 92J/15

Origin Notes and History:

In January 1934 Bralorne Mines Ltd transferred 26 claims to its' newly-created subsidiary Bradian Mines Ltd; a company townsite was constructed here, increased in size during the early 1950's; abandoned in stages during the 1970's. See Geological Survey sheet 324A, Cadwallader Creek, 1935.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"With neat rows of buildings still relatively intact, but missing doors and windows, Bradian, a short distance beyond Bralorne, is a ghost town in the truest sense. Once described as one of the prettiest towns ever created, the entire townsite has been abandoned to the ghosts and memories of more prosperous years. Bradian owed its existence to the Coronation and Ida May mines located to the hills just above the town. These mines were first absorbed by the Lorne in 1928, then were renamed Bradian Mines when the Lorne amalgamated with Bralorne. Soon the Bradian townsite was laid out to accommodate the employees. The houses, with alternating red and green roofs, were built in neat rows in a beautiful setting. By 1950 the original townsite was increased by the construction of 30 modern six-room homes and 12-men bunk-houses, where employees enjoyed the latest in amenities - private rooms and a lounge. Twenty years later, when Bralorne ceased operations due to increased costs and low gold prices, only a dozen families still occupied the pretty 80-home townsite. Eventually, these die-hards also left, and the town was left to the elements. Today the town presents an eerie sight. Some still contain toilets and bathtubs, evidence of the modern conveniences enjoyed by the miners. Except for these items, all stand forlorn and empty, with broken windows, missing doors, fallen fences and knee-high lawns greeting the visitor. Not a resident can be found anywhere. But everyone has not given up on Bradian's future. The town's buildings are currently listed with a real estate agency. Perhaps Bradian's idyllic location as a retirement community, or renewed activity in the Bralorne mines, will rekindle interest in the area. Time will tell." (excerpt from "Fraser River and Bridge River Valley" by Garnet Basque, 1985, provided January 2000 by Tom & Kathleen Gutenburg, who purchased the property in the late 1990's and intend to restore it one building at a time).

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office