Origin Notes and History:
Lachkaltsap (Indian Village), not Lachkaltzap, was adopted in the 1930 BC Gazetteer. Name changed to Greenville (Post Office) 6 July 1950 on 103NE. Confirmed 6 August 1953 on 103P and 7 July 1960 on 103P. Form of name changed to Greenville (Community) 14 January 1983 on 103P/4. Name changed to Laxgalts'ap (community) per Nisga'a Treaty, Appendix F-3, effective 11 May 2000.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
Laxgalts'ap has come to mean "a dwelling place situated upon an ancient dwelling place" [Lax/ on; gal/ empty, uninhabited; ts'ap/ village]. Gitxat'in was the original name of this village before it was destroyed by fire, after which it became known as Laxgalts'ap. "Galts'ap" has also become the more widely used term today to mean "village site" (advice from Sim'oogit Gilaxnamk'ap, 1983)
Source: Nisga'a Tribal Council / Ayuukhl Nisga'a Department, Aiyansh BC