Origin Notes and History:
As labelled on BC map 3J, North Thompson, 1914 & 1915. Sometime before 1921, CNR's Cottonwood Flats station was opened here, as labelled on BC map 1EM, 1915, and on the 1921 edition of BC map 3J. Although it is generally understood that the railway station was so-named because of the physiographic feature, there is no record of how or a what early point Stillwater Flats became known as Cottonwood Flats.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office