Englewood

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Relative Location: Head of Beaver Cove, S side of Johnstone Strait between Robson Bight and Port McNeill, Rupert Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°31'39''N, 126°52'01''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92L/10

Origin Notes and History:

Englewood (Post Office and Steamer Landing) adopted 2 September 1930. Confirmed 2 May 1933 on 92 L/10. Form of name changed to Englewood (settlement) 3 April 1959. Form of name changed to Englewood (Community) in the 1985 BC Gazetteer. Name rescinded 17 April 1985.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Englewood Post Office was opened 1 April 1925, located on Lot 1092. Name changed to Beaver Cove Post Office 15 May 1958 and relocated to Lot 2. BC Forest Service advised in late 1967 that only a 10-man logging camp remains here. "Former logging settlement; wharves & buildings in ruins." (1984 Sailing Directions, Vol 1, p.364).

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Englewood Post Office was named from the sawmill operation, in turn a play on Wood & English Logging Company which had taken over milling operations from the Nimpkish Timber Company c1925. See also Akrigg's British Columbia Place Names. The narrow guage logging railway from Beaver Cove to Woss, built in 1917 and extended & refurbished in subsequent years, is called the Englewood Railway, and is the last operating logging railroad in North America.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office