Waldo

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Relative Location: North of junction of Elk and Kootenay Rivers, SE of Cranbrook, Kootenay Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°12'00''N, 115°13'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 82G/3

Origin Notes and History:

Waldo (Post Office) adopted 12 December 1939 on 82/SE. Form of name changed to Waldo (community) after post office was closed 29 December 1967. Name rescinded 17 March 1973.

Source: BC place name cards, correspondence and/or research by BC Chief Geographer & Geographical Names Office staff.

Named after a rancher in the area, William N. Waldo.

Source: BC place name cards, correspondence and/or research by BC Chief Geographer & Geographical Names Office staff.