Bainbridge

Feature Type:Railway Point - A named railway siding, junction, flag stop or timing point with or without an agent.
Status:
Relative Location: On E&N Railway, N of Port Alberni, Alberni Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°19'00''N, 124°51'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 92F/7

Origin Notes and History:

Bainbridge (Station) adopted 2 June 1949 on 92 F/7. Not identified in timetables after 1967; name rescinded 30 January 1981.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Bainbridge Mill, which started operations in March 1918, was owned by Clarence Hoard, civil engineer who had been in charge of building the final stretch of the E&N into the Alberni Valley, 1907. Bainbridge Mill was famous for the size of the timbers cut & shipped: 6 foot x 16 foot x 116 foot long timbers were shipped to Pennsylvania on three railway cars in 1921; 3 foot x 3 foot x 60 foot long timbers were used in the construction of the Welland Canal, shipped on two railway cars in 1923. (See Victoria Colonist, "Islander Magazine" 4 May 1981 p.4 & 5, for additional descriptions and photographs)

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Mr. R.A. Bainbridge was Chief Engineer, E & N Railway, and his name was given to station. He died at Vancouver in 1945. ("West Coast Lore" by A.W.Sproat, published in West Coast Advocate, 18 April 1935 p.4)

Source: included with note