Feature Type:Settlement - Any permanently occupied, unincorporated area normally identified by a single name, generally rural, and having a recognizable central focus.
Relative Location: E end of Sea Island, in Richmond, New Westminster Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°12'00''N, 123°08'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 92G/3

Origin Notes and History:

Eburne (Post Office) adopted 11 February 1936 on 92G/2; not "North Arm (Post Office)" as identified on earlier maps. Form of name changed to Eburne (settlement) 3 April 1959 on 92G. Name no longer used (July 1983 information from Vancouver International Airport Development Section). Name rescinded 15 July 1983.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

North Arm Post Office was opened 1 January 1882. Re-named Eburne Post Office 1 October 1892. Closed temporarily 7 April 1914; re-opened 23 April 1914... [not to be confused with Eburne Station Post Office opened 15 May 1911 and renamed Marpole Post Office 1 June 1916.] Eburne Post Office was closed 31 March 1947.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"After William Henry Eburne, who opened the first general store at the Sea Island end of the bridge across the Fraser. Born in England c1856, he came as a youth of 18 to British Columbia, his uncle, Mr. Cridland, being one of the early settlers on the Fraser. The settlement that grew up [around Eburne's general store] and the post office were named after him. Originally the whole district was named after him, but to avoid confusion, the mainland portion was changed to Marpole, after the well-known general superintendent of the CPR. Mr. Eburne sold out his store business to Messrs. Churchill and McKay but he continued to reside in the district. Died at Marpole in June 1924 at the age of 68. See also Vancouver Province, 23 June 1924."

Source: Nelson, Denys; Place Names of the Delta of the Fraser River; 1927, unpublished manuscript held in the Provincial Archives

"An ill-defined area on the North Arm of the Fraser River, this takes its name from W.H. Eburne. In 1881, fed up with farming, Eburne opened a store on the mainland opposite Sea Island. In 1891, after the bridges were built, he moved his store to Sea Island. The Post Office in his store had its name changed in 1894 from "North Arm" to "Eburne." The mainland portion of Eburne was renamed "Marpole" in 1916."

Source: Akrigg, Helen B. and Akrigg, G.P.V; 1001 British Columbia Place Names; Discovery Press, Vancouver 1969, 1970, 1973.