Cox Lake

Feature Type:Lake - Inland body of standing water.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: N side of McFarland Creek, just SE of Port Alberni, Alberni Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°12'25''N, 124°45'47''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92F/2

Origin Notes and History:

Adopted 4 March 1947 on 92F/2, as labelled on BC map 2A, 1938.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Decision on C.3609. Previously approved on July 8, 1946 on C.3609.

Source: Canadian Geographical Names Database, Ottawa

After the Cox family, who lived at Cape Beale lighthouse when it was first built in the 1870's. Emanuel John Cox was the first property owner at Cox Lake; subsequent owners have attempted to raise muskrats, nutria, pigs, and potatoes.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Charles Augustus Cox, son of the lightkeeper at Cape Beale, Emanuel Cox, was the first policeman in the Alberni district, and later was Indian Agent. (excerpt from "Place Names in the Alberni Valley" © Alberni District Historical Society, 1988.)

Source: included with note