Cox Bay

Feature Type:Bay - Water area in an indentation of the shoreline of a sea, lake, or large river.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: W side of Esowista Peninsula facing Templar Channel, S of Tofino, Clayoquot Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°06'13''N, 125°52'58''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92F/4

Origin Notes and History:

Cox Bay adopted 6 November 1934 on C.327, as recommended by Hydrographic Service, not "False Bay" as labelled on early British Admiralty Charts.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Re-named by H.D. Parizeau, Hydrographic Service: "In 1788 Captain Meares named an anchorage inside Lennard Island, Port Cox; this portion of the channel is now known as Templar Channel. In consideration of the original name Port Cox, it is suggested to name this Cox Bay instead of False Bay..." See also Cox Point.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

After John Henry Cox, a merchant residing in China, interested in the voyages of the early fur traders to this coast, 1785-1790, and who assisted in fitting out the expeditions of Captain Hanna and Captain Meares.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office