Franklin Camp

Feature Type:Former Locality - A once-populated place with no current population, or that is usually uninhabited
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: E of Alberni Inlet, NE of Sarita Lake, Barclay Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 48°58'20''N, 124°44'30''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 92C/15

Origin Notes and History:

Franklin River (settlement) adopted 13 March 1947 on 92F/2, located at 49° 06' - 124° 48' as identified in the 1939 BC Directory. Rescinded 23 December 1975. Reinstated as Franklin Camp (community) 13 March 1979 on 92C/15 and coordinates changed to 48° 58' - 124° 44'. Form of name changed to Franklin Camp (Post Office) 25 August 1980 on 92C/15. Form of name changed to Franklin Camp (Former Locality) 18 September 1995 on 92 C/15.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Franklin Camp Post Office was opened here 1 January 1980; post office closed 10 January 1983. "The camp is in the process of closing..." (7 February 1984 advice from MacMillan Bloedel. "All trailers and personal dwellings had been removed by the late 1980's, and only fire supression, road maintenance and limited logging equipment is warehoused here." (September 1995 advice from Government Agent, Port Alberni.)

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

The logging camp (known by MacMillan Bloedel as Camp B) was originally situated at the mouth of Franklin River. Relocated a few miles inland to Lot 180 on Coleman Creek (date of relocation not cited, but sometime before mid-1960s); the school was relocated also, and retained the name "Franklin River Elementary" (December 1966 advice from School District Office).

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office