Bevan

Feature Type:Locality - A named place or area, generally with a scattered population of 50 or less.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: N. of E. end of Comox Lake, Comox Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°40'00''N, 125°05'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 92F/11

Origin Notes and History:

Bevan (Post Office) adopted March 1923, as identified in 1912 BC Mines Report and labelled on BC map 2C, 1919. Form of name changed to Bevan (settlement) 7 October 1948; further changed to Bevan (locality) 15 April 1981 on 92F/11. According to E.P. Creech the locality has been abandoned.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Bevan Post Office was opened 15 September 1913; closed 31 August 1957.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Bevan was a foreman with the Comox Logging Company; no further explanation in BC records.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Dunsmuir opened the No. 7 mine here in 1902, and a spur was built linking the mining camp with the rail line at Cumberland; Canadian Collieries bought out Dunsmuir in 1911 and laid out a townsite. The following year there were 100+ homes, a large store and a hotel; once the post office was opened the settlement lost its identity as No. 7 and became known as Bevan. When No. 7 mine closed in 1921 many families left, and 50 of the company houses were moved to Cumberland. No. 8 mine, just 3 km away at Puntledge, was reopened in 1936 and the Bevan townsite prospered until 1953, when the mine was permanently closed and all houses sold & removed. Post Office closed in 1957. The hotel remained open and was eventually refurbished as an up-scale tourist retreat; converted to a group home for mentally-challenged adults in 1968; closed c1980. See Times-Colonist, Islander magazine, 13 April 1981.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office