Maquinna Park was established per Order in Council 19/55, 7 January 1955. Area expanded per OIC 1933, 21 December 1990 to include the entire south end of Openit Peninsula, the whole containing 39 ha. more or less. Name changed to Maquinna Marine Park and area expanded per Bill 53: Park Amendment Act 1995, 13 July 1995, extending to Hesquiat Harbour, the whole now containing 2,667 ha. (1.269 hectares upland and 1,398 hectares of foreshore) more or less.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office