150 Mile House

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: Surrounding junction of Borland and Valley Creeks, just E of Williams Lake (city), Cariboo Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 52°06'20''N, 121°55'40''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 93A/4

Origin Notes and History:

150 Mile House (Post Office) adopted 1 September 1960 on 93A. Form of name changed to 150 Mile House (community) 28 February 1983 on 93A/4.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

150 Mile House Post Office was opened 2 June 1871 or 1 July 1872 (Melvin & Topping's 1965 list and Topping's 1991 list, respectively). The name refers to the distance from Lillooet on the Cariboo Wagon Road of the 1860's. By 1966 the post office was located within the 150 Mile Store, situated in Block C, Lot 12.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office