Dundas Island

Feature Type:Island - Land area surrounded by water or marsh.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: W side of Chatham Sound just NW of Prince Rupert, Range 5 Coast Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 54°33'47''N, 130°52'22''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 103J/10
Related Maps: 103J/10
103J/7

Origin Notes and History:

Dundas Island (singular) adopted 7 March 1933 on Geological Survey of Canada sheet 278A, Prince Rupert, as labelled on British Admiralty Chart 1737, 1912; the largest of the Dundas Islands.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Named "Dundas's Island" in July 1793 by Captain Vancouver, after the Right Hon. Henry Dundas (1742-1811), treasurer of the navy under prime minister of Great Britain William Pitt, 1783-1801.

Source: Provincial Archives' Place Names File (the "Harvey File") compiled 1945-1950 by A.G. Harvey from various sources, with subsequent additions