Dawson Creek

Feature Type:City - A populated place with legally defined boundaries, incorporated as a city municipality under the provincial Municipal Act.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: SE of Fort St. John, Peace River Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 55°45'38''N, 120°14'08''W at the approximate location of the Municipal Hall.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 93P/16

Origin Notes and History:

Incorporated as a Village Municipality 26 May 1936. Dawson Creek (Village) confirmed 5 May 1949 on 93P/NE. Re-incorporated as a City 1 January 1958, the first incorporation in British Columbia's centennial year. Dawson Creek (City) confirmed 27 June 1967 on 93/NE.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Dawson Creek Post Office was opened 1 November 1921, Miss Dova W. Cusak, postmistress. See also the municipality's own website.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

In 1919, W.S. Bullen opened a small store (exact location not cited). The following year a hotel was built, costing $2,200, managed by Mrs. Kirkham. The original Dawson Creek townsite was on Bullen's farm, so-named because of its proximity to a small stream called Dawson Creek, in turn named after George Mercer Dawson (1849 - 1901), who had conducted the original surveys in this district May through August 1879, for Geological Survey of Canada. The townsite was relocated eastward with the advent of the Northern Alberta Railway (date not cited). [See Dawson Creek (creek, 93P/9) for additional biographical information, also "British Columbia Coast Names, 1592-1906" by Capt. John T. Walbran; Ottawa, 1909 (republished for the Vancouver Public Library by J.J. Douglas Ltd, Vancouver, 1971) ]

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office