Origin Notes and History:
Cottonwood House Historic Park established as a Provincial Park per Order in Council 1654, 27 June 1963, containing 21 acres more or less; incorrectly identified in geographical names records as "Cottonwood House Park" 10 February 1966 on 93G. Area expanded per OIC #3757, 22 November 1974, the whole now containing 26.4 acres more or less. Form of name corrected in geographical names records to "Cottonwood House Historic Park (Provincial Historic Park)" 29 November 1984. Park status cancelled per Bill 86, Park Amendment Act 1999, Schedule A, effective 28 June 1999; the name remains the same but property will be managed as a Provincial Heritage Property under the provisions of the Heritage Conservation Act, per OIC 758, 2 July 1999.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
"Constructed on the Cariboo Wagon Road between 1864 and 1865, Cottonwood House served up hearty meals and provided accommodation to travellers....." (January 1999, BC Heritage website: www.heritage.gov.bc.ca)
Source: included with note