Kootenay National Park was established by Privy Council Order in 1920. "Parc national de Kootenay" was adopted 4 June 1985 (Ottawa file 203-19); French form of name changed to "Parc national Kootenay" 31 March 1986 by Parks Canada. "Kootenay National Park" and "Parc national Kootenay" were confirmed by Parks Canada 30 June 1989. The expanded forms "Kootenay National Park of Canada" and "Parc national du Canada Kootenay" are identified in the publication Canada's Geographical Names Approved in English and French, published August 2002 by the Geographical Names Board of Canada.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office