Arrowhead

Feature Type:Locality - A named place or area, generally with a scattered population of 50 or less.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: N. end of Upper Arrow Lake, Kootenay Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°42'40''N, 117°55'15''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 82K/12

Origin Notes and History:

Arrowhead (Post Office) was adopted in the 1930 BC Gazetteer, as labelled on BC map 1EM, 1915. Confirmed 4 November 1954 on Columbia River Basin manuscript # 20; form of name changed to Arrowhead (Post Office, Railway Station and Steamer Landing) 1 March 1956 on 82 K/12. Name rescinded 10 February 1976 on 82K. Reinstated as Arrowhead (abandoned locality) 18 October 1979 per advice received from Columbia-Shuswap Regional District (letter October 1979, file B.1.55); form of name changed to Arrowhead (Locality) 9 November 1988 on 82K/12.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Arrowhead Post Office opened 1 July 1896, so-named by the CPR, as it is at the head of Arrow Lakes; closed 28 September 1968. Note that BC name card identifies "Halls Landing Post Office" as an old name for Arrowhead. Halls Landing is a separate location about 3 miles northwest up the the Columbia River; it is likely that mail was delivered via steamship to Halls Landing until a steamer landing and post office were established at Arrowhead.

Source: Provincial Archives of BC "Place Names File" compiled 1945-1950 by A.G. Harvey from various sources, with subsequent additions

"For many moons the Indians camped at (this) splendid site and were happy. The fishing was good and so was the hunting, and many tribes came during the summer. They were happy and peaceful but enemy tribes coveted the camp ground and raided this camp of many totems. A great battle ensued and many warriors were killed and many arrows spent. For many moons following the great battle no one came to this camp-ground, and when - years afterwards - the white man came and dug cellars for his teepees of lumber, he found many arrow-heads and so called the place Arrowhead. The name might also follow from the fact that being the Arrow Lakes, the head of these lakes would naturally be called Arrowhead. Another story is that if one climbs the high mountain at the back of town, the arm of the lake resembles the head of an arrow." (The Slocan Enterprise, 5 February 1930).

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office