Lax Kw'alaams

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: S side of Port Simpson at the NW end of the Tsimpsean Peninsula, N of Prince Rupert, Range 5 Coast Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 54°33'24''N, 130°26'01''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 103J/9

Origin Notes and History:

Port Simpson (village) adopted in the 18th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 31 March 1924, as labelled on BC map 3M, 1916; form of name changed to Port Simpson (Post Office & Steamer Landing) 3 April 1952, then to Port Simpson (Community) 28 February 1983. Name changed to Lax Kw'alaams (community) 4 April 1986 per Band Council Resolution [date of BCR not cited]. Agreed 4 July 1986 by DIAND. Canada Post has since agreed to change the name of their post office.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Lax Kw'alaams (earlier written Lach Goo Alams) is the name of the village site established beside HBC's Fort Simpson trading post, located here in 1834; it is a Tsimshian name meaning "place of the wild roses".

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office