Choate

Feature Type:Locality - A named place or area, generally with a scattered population of 50 or less.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: W side of Fraser River between Hope and Yale, Yale Division Yale Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°28'00''N, 121°25'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 92H/6

Origin Notes and History:

Choate (Post Office) adopted 6 October 1936 on Geological Survey sheet 422A, Hope, as labelled on BC map 2B, 1914. "Choate (Post Office & Flag Station)" identified in the 1930 BC Gazetteer. Form of name changed to Choate (Locality) 29 November 1984 on 92H/6.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Choate Post Office opened 1 August 1923, taking its name from the railway station here; Coate Post Office was closed 30 June 1939.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Station named after James Zacchaeus Choate (1863-1930), early CPR bridge construction foreman, North Bend; CPR bridge and building master at Nelson 1900-06; at Vancouver 1906-29.

Source: Provincial Archives of BC "Place Names File" compiled 1945-1950 by A.G. Harvey from various sources, with subsequent additions

"Named after the head foreman of wooden bridge construction during construction days. Choate, James Zacchaeus, connected with the CPR since 1888; bridge and building master in Vancouver; native of Ontario. ....born in Wentworth county 12 September 1896; educated at the public schools of Wentworth and Haldimand counties. Connected with the GTP railway in 1880. Joined the CPR in 1888 and removed to Vancouver where he has since resided. Very proficient in everything connected with railroad bridge building. Married Miss Alice Crick 1 September 1893, and has six children (recorded by the author in 1914)"

Source: Nelson, Denys; Place Names of the Delta of the Fraser River; 1927, unpublished manuscript held in the Provincial Archives