Carmi

Feature Type:Locality - A named place or area, generally with a scattered population of 50 or less.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: W side of West Kettle River, E of Penticton, Similkameen Division Yale Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°30'00''N, 119°07'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 82E/6

Origin Notes and History:

Carmi (Village) adopted in the 18th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 31 March 1924, as labelled on BC map 1EM, 1915. Form of name changed to Carmi (Post Office & Railway Station) in the 1930 BC Gazetteer; confirmed 7 October 1954 on 82E/SW. Form of name changed to Carmi (Locality) 6 June 1979 on 82E/6.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Carmi Post Office opened 1 June 1902, James Kerr postmaster; closed 1 November 1907; re-opened 16 November 1907; closed again 31 December 1909; re-opened 1 August 1911; closed for the last time 31 January 1969.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Founded c1900 and named after a mineral claim located in 1896 by James Cass Dale; the mineral claim in turn had been named for his birthplace and early home Carmi, Illinois.

Source: Provincial Archives of BC "Place Names File" compiled 1945-1950 by A.G. Harvey from various sources, with subsequent additions