BC Geographical Names

Name Details:

Name: Nakusp
Feature TypeClick here for a list of
Feature Types.
:
Village (1) - A populated place with legally defined boundaries, incorporated under the provincial Municipal Act
StatusClick here for an explanation of Status.: Official
Relative Location: SE side of Upper Arrow Lake, S of Revelstoke, Kootenay Land District
Latitude-LongitudeClick here for an explanation of Position Type.: 50°14'21''N, 117°47'51''W at the approximate location of the Municipal Hall.
DatumClick here for an explanation of Datum.: NAD83
NTS MapClick here for an explanation of NTS Map.: 82K/4
  Nearby names within
  

Origin Notes and History:

Nakusp (Village) adopted in 18th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada. Form of name changed to Nakusp (Post Office, Station & Steamer Landing) 9 June 1960 on 82K . Incorporated as a Village Municipality 24 November 1964. Confirmed as Nakusp (Village) 27 July 1966 on 82NW. Boundary extended per OIC 400, 26 September 2013 to include parcels upstream on Kuskanax Creek containing Nakusp Hot Springs and the former Nakusp Hot Springs Provincial Park.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
Nakusp Post Office was opened 1 August 1892.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
The Indians called this place Nakipus, meaning "the bay behind the long point." (as told by Jack Evans, early trapper and prospector, and printed in the Slocan Enterprise, 11 August 1931).
Source: included with note
From the Indian word "Neqo'sp" meaning "closed-in" or "safe" (BC name card). According to Chief Louis "...Indians come down the lake in canoes...storm very bad, canoes nealy lost at Kuskanax Creek, but upon entering the big bay, Neqo'sp, they were safe." (Pioneer Days of Nakusp... Kate Johnson, 1952.) "The story is told that in the early days some twenty years ago, in the store of F.W. Jordan, an old timer was asked how Nakusp got its name. This was a man of few English words but he illustrated the point by taking out his tobacco bag. He opened the mouth of the bag then drew the strings tight again, signifying a safe place, a quiet shelter, secure site, or words to that effect." (Slocan Enterprise, 5 February 1930)
Source: included with note