Pemberton

Feature Type:Village (1) - A populated place with legally defined boundaries, incorporated as a village municipality under the provincial Municipal Act.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: S side Lillooet River, W of N end Lillooet Lake, Lillooet Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°19'14''N, 122°48'28''W at the approximate location of the Municipal Hall.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92J/7

Origin Notes and History:

Pemberton (Station) adopted in the 1930 BC Gazetteer. Confirmed as Pemberton (Post Office & Station) 6 September 1951 on 92J. Incorporated as a Village Municipality 20 July 1956. Name confirmed as Pemberton (Village) 17 January 1957 on 92J. Boundary extension per OIC 150/2006, 27 March 2006, and Letters Patent amended from The Corporation of the Village of Pemberton, to Village of Pemberton.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Agerton Post Office opened 1 August 1912, situated adjacent to PGER on Lot 203; renamed Pemberton Post Office 1 February 1931.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"Port Pemberton" is labelled on Lieutenant Mayne's "Sketch of Part of British Columbia" 1859, positioned at the north end of Lillooet Lake. "Pemberton" labelled on Epner's "Map of the Gold Regions of British Columbia", 1962, and on Trutch's 1871 map of British Columbia, both at the north end of Lillooet Lake.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Named after Joseph Despard Pemberton (1821 - 1893), surveyor general of the Colony of Vancouver Island, 1851-64, and member of the first Legislative Assembly. See also the municipality's own website.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office