BC Geographical Names

Name Details:

Name: Port Clements
Feature TypeClick here for a list of
Feature Types.
:
Village (1) - A populated place with legally defined boundaries, incorporated under the provincial Municipal Act
StatusClick here for an explanation of Status.: Official
Relative Location: E side Masset Inlet, Graham Island, Queen Charlotte Land District
Latitude-LongitudeClick here for an explanation of Position Type.: 53°41'08''N, 132°11'01''W at the approximate location of the Municipal Hall.
DatumClick here for an explanation of Datum.: NAD83
NTS MapClick here for an explanation of NTS Map.: 103F/9
  Nearby names within
  

Origin Notes and History:

Port Clements (Village) adopted 3 July 1946 on 103/SE, not Queenstown as labelled on BC map 3L, 1919; form of name changed to Port Clements (Post Office & Steamer Landing) 2 December 1954 on BC Lands' map 2F. Incorporated as a Village Municipality 31 December 1975. Port Clements (Village) confirmed 15 April 1982 on 103F/9.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
Port Clements Post Office was opened 1 April 1914 (or 1 May 1914?), named after Herbert Sylvester Clements (1865 - 1939), one-time MP for Comox-Atlin, who had been active in securing appropriations for Public Works in the Queen Charlotte Islands.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
"A man named Eli Tingley first arrived at what is now Port Clements in 1907. He had a vision for the town site as it started to grow. Originally named Queenstown, the town was renamed Port Clements in 1914. The town's namesake Herb Clements was the local Member of Parliament. In return for using his name, the community was given a new government wharf. This addition made the difference in the development of the settlement as a wharf always attracts more visitors and commerce." (from Village of Port Clements website, 2007)
Source: included with note