BC Geographical Names

Name Details:

Name: Bilston Creek
Feature TypeClick here for a list of
Feature Types.
:
Creek (1) - Watercourse, usually smaller than a river
StatusClick here for an explanation of Status.: Official
Relative Location: Flows SE and E into Witty's Lagoon, E of Sooke, Metchosin Land District
Latitude-LongitudeClick here for an explanation of Position Type.: 48°23'18''N, 123°31'20''W at the approximate mouth of this feature.
DatumClick here for an explanation of Datum.: NAD83
NTS MapClick here for an explanation of NTS Map.: 92B/5
  Nearby names within
  

Origin Notes and History:

Bilston Creek adopted 12 June 1934 on 92B/5, flowing into Metchosin Creek as identified in Water Rights Branch files. Application extended 6 July 1992 on 92B/5; Bilston Creek flowing directly into Witty's Lagoon per District of Metchosin Council's advice.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
District of Metchosin advises that - in spite of long-standing map labels to the contrary - local residents call the entire watercourse "Bilston Creek", from headwaters in L36 Goldstream District to its' mouth at Witty's Lagoon; Metchosin Creek is understood locally to be a tributary of Bilston Creek; hydrological evidence confirms. Just above Witty's Lagoon, where the Coast Road crosses this creek, a bridge sign has long-identified Bilston Creek. Council requested that map labels be amended to extend the application of "Bilston Creek" and confine the application of "Metchosin Creek", per letter of intent published in June 1992 Metchosin Mail, and delivered to every household in the area.
Source: Provincial Archives of BC "Place Names File" compiled 1945-1950 by A.G. Harvey from various sources, with subsequent additions
The creek runs through the old Bilston Farm, so-named by Capt. James Cooper (1821- ) after his home town of Bilston in the Parish of Wolverhampton. Cooper had entered HBC service in 1844 and arrived at Vancouver Island in 1851. Bilston Farm was unde the management of Mr. Thomas Blinkhorn and his wife, Anne.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
"...(Bilston Creek) runs through what used to be known as Bilston Farm, which was named by a man called Blinkhorn." (March 1934 letter from Mr. Gavin Weir, file S.2.33)
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office