Cassiar

Feature Type:Abandoned Locality - A previously populated place with no current population.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: W side Dease River, W of Good Hope Lake (locality), Cassiar Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 59°17'20''N, 129°50'45''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 104P/5

Origin Notes and History:

Cassiar (Settlement) adopted 3 April 1952 on 104 P. Form of name changed to Cassiar (Post Office) in 1966, then to Cassiar (Community) 15 December 1982 on 104 P/5. Changed to Cassiar (Abandoned Locality) 15 March 1993 on 104 P/5.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

A company town, owned by the Cassiar Asbestos Corporation, whose mine was located here; in turn named as a derivation of the Indian name "Kaska" or "Kasha". Cassiar Asbestos Corporation ceased operation in 1992; in September 1992 virtually all moveable structures were sold at auction and removed; by early October 1992 only a security guard was living on site.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office