Crawford Bay

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: Just E of Kootenay Bay, E side of Kootenay Lake, Kootenay Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°41'00''N, 116°49'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 82F/10

Origin Notes and History:

Crawford Bay (Post Office) adopted 7 December 1937 on Geological Survey sheet 603A, Nelson; form of name changed to Crawford Bay (community) 15 December 1982 on 82 F/10.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Crawford Bay Post Office opened 1 November 1904 on Lot 5023; closed 31 February 1954. Meanwhile, Port Crawford Post Office opened 1 May 1916 on Lot 5021, about 2 miles away; relocated to Lot 3888 and re-opened as Crawford Bay Post Office 2 December 1954.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office