Beaver Cove

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: At mouth of Kokish River, SE of Port McNeill, Rupert Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°32'00''N, 126°52'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 92L/10

Origin Notes and History:

Beaver Cove (Steamer Landing) adopted 6 June 1952 on C.3569 (file A.1.40). Form of name changed to Beaver Cove (Post Office & Steamer Landing) 3 April 1959 on 92L/10; further changed to Beaver Cove (Community) 15 June 1982 on 92L/10.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Adopted 2-5-33 (92 L/l0) as a Settlement.

Source: Canadian Geographical Names Database, Ottawa

Englewood Post Office, established across the cove in 1925, was relocated to near the Beaver Cove steamer landing, and renamed Beaver Cove Post Office, 16 May 1958. Post Office closed 30 April 1975 (?).

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office