Metchosin

Feature Type:District Municipality (1) - A populated place with legally defined boundaries, incorporated as a district municipality under the provincial Municipal Act.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: Between Langford and Sooke, SW of Victoria, Metchosin Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 48°22'45''N, 123°32'09''W at the approximate location of the Municipal Hall.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92B/5
Related Maps: 92B/5
92B/6

Origin Notes and History:

Metchosin (Post Office & Railway Station) adopted in 1930 BC Gazetteer, as labelled on BC map 2A, 1913 et seq. Status changed to Metchosin (Post Office) 6 November 1934 on National Defence sheet 415b, Metchosin. Status changed to Metchosin (Community) 31 January 1983 on 92 B/5. Incorporated as District Municipality 3 December 1984, called District of Metchosin; confirmed 14 January 1985 on 92 B/5 and 92 B/6. Boundaries reduced per Letters Patent 8 March 2017 by OIC 133/2017.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Metchosin Post Office was opened 1 April 1881; closed 1 August 1891; reopened, closed & reopened numerous times before closing 11 July 1973.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

The future Sir James Douglas, when he visited the area in 1842 to choose the site for Fort Victoria, mentioned Metcho-sin. A number of meanings are given for this Straits Salish word. Many years ago a dead whale reportedly washed up on the beach here, and several meanings given for the word, such as "smelling of oil" and the "place of oil" could possibly relate to this occurrence.

Source: Akrigg, Helen B. and Akrigg, G.P.V; British Columbia Place Names; Sono Nis Press, Victoria 1986 /or University of British Columbia Press 1997