Fort Babine

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: N end of Babine Lake, NE of Smithers, Cassiar Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 55°19'05''N, 126°37'30''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 93M/7

Origin Notes and History:

Fort Babine (settlement) adopted 1 March 1938 on Geological Survey map 448A, Hazelton. Form of name changed to Babine (Post Office) 6 April 1950 on 93 M. Form of name changed to Babine (community) 15 December 1982 on 93 M/7. For mapping purposes, name changed to a dual form: Fort Babine (community)--Babine Post Office 31 March 1983, meaning that both will be labelled on maps. Dual name dismanted in July 1993 by Ottawa, and reverted to just Fort Babine (community) following closure of the post office in 1993.

Source: BC place name cards & correspondence, and/or research by BC Chief Geographer & Geographical Names Office staff.

Babine Post Office was opened 24 May 1950 at the settlement known as Fort Babine; post office relocated 1/4 mile southward in August 1974; closed 31 May 1983.

Source: BC place name cards & correspondence, and/or research by BC Chief Geographer & Geographical Names Office staff.

Fort Babine, also called Kilmars or Old Fort, was established on the shore of Babine Lake in 1922.... (District of Houston website, 2014)

Source: included with note