Brackendale

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: In Squamish District Municipality, head of Howe Sound, New Westminster Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°46'00''N, 123°09'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 92G/14

Origin Notes and History:

Brackendale (Settlement) adopted in the 18th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 31 March 1924, as labelled on BC map 2D, 1923. Re-approved 3 May 1951 on 92G. Form of name changed to Brackendale (Post Office & Railway Station) 6 June 1957 on 92G/14. Identified as Brackendale (Post Office) in the 1966 BC Gazetteer. Form of name changed to Brackendale (Community) 15 April 1982.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Post Office opened 1 August 1906; closed 18 July 1912. Brackendale railway station opened in 1915; Brackendale Farmers Institute started 1915. Station closed sometime in the early 1960's (not listed as a passenger stop in PGER timetables from 1963 onward).

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

After Thomas Hirst Bracken, an elderly Englishman who was the first postmaster, and who kept a general store and the Bracken Arms Hotel. He returned to England after the hotel burned down, and later died there (dates not cited).

Source: Provincial Archives of BC "Place Names File" compiled 1945-1950 by A.G. Harvey from various sources, with subsequent additions