Delkatla

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: E side of Delkatla Inlet within Masset (municipality), at N end of Graham Island, Queen Charlotte Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 54°01'00''N, 132°08'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 103K/1

Origin Notes and History:

Delkatla (Settlement) adopted 6 February 1948 on C.305, as identified in local records. Name rescinded 2 December 1954 on BC map 2F, Ottawa file OBF3986). Reinstated as Delkatla (community) 30 November 1982 on 103 K/1.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Named in association with Delkatla Inlet, in turn a Haida word meaning "water flowing in and out." In 1954 Mr. Wilson Duff, anthropologist, Provincial Museum, advised that this site was deserted.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"...the dream town of Charles Wilson in 1911 when he listed it in advertisements in local and mainland newspapers. It was registered in April 1913... It was Mr. Wilson's hope that pre-emptors would make Delkatla the place for their "town" homes, as they proved up on their isolated acreages under [pre-emption rules]. At one time it must have been a large Haida settlement. Early townspeople of Delkatla in preparing their gardens unearthed stone utensils and other artifacts constantly. Nearly everyone had several boxes of them, said one old-timer, there are midden signs all over the area, but nothing recorded about these ancient sites."

Source: Dalzell, Kathleen E; Queen Charlotte Islands - Book 2: of places and names; Prince Rupert: Cove Press, 1973