Kent

Feature Type:District Municipality (1) - A populated place with legally defined boundaries, incorporated as a district municipality under the provincial Municipal Act.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: Between S end of Harrison Lake and Fraser River, New Westminster Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°14'17''N, 121°45'45''W at the approximate location of the Municipal Hall.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92H/4
Related Maps: 92H/4
92H/5

Origin Notes and History:

Incorporated as a District Municipality 1 January 1895, called the Corporation of the District of Kent. "Kent (Municipal District)" confirmed in the 18th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 31 March 1924, p.357. Name re-approved 2 June 1950 on 92H/4, as labelled on BC map 2B, 1914, etc.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

When this municipality was incorporated....the name chosen was Kent (the English county famous for hops) since hop growing was an important local industry.

Source: Akrigg, Helen B. and Akrigg, G.P.V; British Columbia Place Names; Sono Nis Press, Victoria 1986 /or University of British Columbia Press 1997