Phelan (station) adopted in the 17th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 31 March 1917, as labelled on BC Lands' map 3M, 1916. Confirmed 3 July 1946 on C.3702. Form of name subsequently adjusted in Ottawa records, to Phelan (railway point). Origin/significance not recorded.
Source: BC place name cards & correspondence, and/or research by BC Chief Geographer & Geographical Names Office staff.