Inverness Passage

Feature Type:Passage - Variation of Pass: Narrow stretch of water connecting two larger water bodies.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: Between Smith Island and Tsimpsean Peninsula, Range 5 Coast Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 54°10'29''N, 130°11'19''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 103J/1

Origin Notes and History:

Adopted in the 18th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 31 March 1924. Confirmed 8 July 1954 on 103 J/1.

Source: Canadian Geographical Names Database, Ottawa

In 1876 the first salmon cannery was built at Woodcock's Landing by the North Western Commercial Company. Four years later it became the property of Turner Beeton & Company, and this firm changed the name to Inverness Cannery..... by the 1890's there were seven [salmon canneries] scattered around the Skeena estuary... Aberdeen on the north bank at the mouth of the Kyex River, Balmoral on the north shore of the Ecstall River..." (R.Geddes Large, The Skeena: River of Destiny, Mitchell Press Vancouver, 1957, p.33).

Source: included with note