Origin Notes and History:
Adopted 3 December 1946 on C3587, as labelled on British Admiralty Chart #581, 1867 et seq, and on BC Lands' map 2C, 1919 et seq.
Source: BC place name cards & correspondence, and/or research by BC Chief Geographer & Geographical Names Office staff.
Named by Capt. Richards, RN, after H.M. gunboat Forward, built in England in 1854, and arrived in Esquimalt 1860 in company with H.M.S. Grappler and H.M.S. Termagant.
Source: Walbran, John T; "British Columbia Coast Names, 1592-1906: Their Origin and History"; published for the Geographic Board of Canada, Ottawa, 1909 (republished for the Vancouver Public Library by J.J. Douglas Ltd, Vancouver, 1971)