Origin Notes and History:
Fort St. James (Post Office) adopted in the 18th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 31 March 1924, as labelled on G.M. Dawson's 1875 Geological Survey map, and on subsequent Dominion and provincial maps, and as listed in the Postal Guide of 1906. Incorporated as a Village Municipality 19 December 1952; form of name confirmed as Fort St. James (Village) 2 June 1955. Re-incorporated as a District Municipality 1 January 1995, called The Corporation of the District of Fort St. James.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office