Gibsons

Feature Type:Town - A populated place with legally defined boundaries, incorporated as a town municipality under the provincial Municipal Act.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: W side of entrance to Howe Sound, New Westminster Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°24'01''N, 123°30'32''W at the approximate location of the Municipal Hall.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92G/5
Related Maps: 92G/5
92G/6

Origin Notes and History:

Incorporated as Gibsons Landing Village Municipality 4 March 1929. Incorrectly adopted as Gibsons Landing (Post Office) 12 December 1939 on 92 SE, then as Gibsons (Post Office) 3 July 1947 on 92 SE. Corrected to Gibsons Landing (Village) 3 April 1959 on 92G. Re-incorporated as a Gibsons Village Municipality 5 April 1968. Re-incorporated as Gibsons Town Municipality 17 December 1982.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Howe Sound Post Office was opened in this location 1 October 1892. Re-opened as Gibsons Landing Post Office 1 October 1907, named after George William Gibson, the original postmaster. Changed to Gibsons Post Office 2 January 1948. See also the municipality's own website.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office