Fort Fraser

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: E end of Fraser Lake, between Prince George and Burns Lake, Range 5 Coast Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 54°04'00''N, 124°33'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 93K/2

Origin Notes and History:

Fort Fraser (Post Office & Station) adopted in the 1930 BC Gazetteer, as labelled on BC Lands' map 1G, 1916. Confirmed 2 November 1937 on Geological Survey map 630A, Fort Fraser. Form of name change to Fort Fraser (community) 31 December 1982 on 93K/2.

Source: BC place name cards & correspondence, and/or research by BC Chief Geographer & Geographical Names Office staff.

Fort Fraser Post Office was opened 1 May 1913.

Source: BC place name cards & correspondence, and/or research by BC Chief Geographer & Geographical Names Office staff.

Named after Simon Fraser, who established the trading post here in 1806.

Source: BC place name cards & correspondence, and/or research by BC Chief Geographer & Geographical Names Office staff.