BC Geographical Names

Name Details:

Name: Telegraph Creek
Feature TypeClick here for a list of
Feature Types.
:
Community
StatusClick here for an explanation of Status.: Official
Relative Location: At junction of Telegraph Creek and Stikine River, SW of Dease Lake, Cassiar Land District
Latitude-LongitudeClick here for an explanation of Position Type.: 57°54'00''N, 131°10'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
DatumClick here for an explanation of Datum.: NAD27
NTS MapClick here for an explanation of NTS Map.: 104G/14
  Nearby names within
  

Origin Notes and History:

Telegraph Creek (village) adopted in 18th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 31 March 1924, as labelled on BC Lands' map 1H, 1917. Form of name changed to Telegraph Creek (Post Office) in the 1953 BC Gazetteer. Form of name changed to Telegraph Creek (community) 15 March 1983 on 104G/14.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
Telegraph Creek Post Office was opened 14 June 1899.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
The Western Union Telegraph Company's projected line to connect the Old World and the New by way of Behring Strait [sic], 1866, crossed the Stikine River at this point.
Source: BC place name cards & correspondence, and/or research by BC Chief Geographer & Geographical Names Office staff.