West Thurlow Island

Feature Type:Island - Land area surrounded by water or marsh.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: N side of Johnstone Strait between Bute and Loughborough Inlets, N of Campbell River (city), Sayward Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°24'20''N, 125°38'00''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92K/5
Related Maps: 92K/5
92K/6

Origin Notes and History:

East Thurlow Island adopted 2 September 1948 on S119 (now on C.3522); confirmed 6 April 1950 on 92 NW.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Thurlow Islands [now distinguished as East Thurlow Island and West Thurlow Island] were named in 1792 by Captain Vancouver, after Edward, Baron Thurlow, Lord Chancellor of England.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office