Burquitlam

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: S of Port Moody, in Coquitlam, New Westminster Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°16'00''N, 122°53'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 92G/7

Origin Notes and History:

Burquitlam (Post Office) adopted 3 May 1951 on 92 G. Form of name changed to Burquitlam (Community) 3 July 1979 on 92G/7 at 49 15 - 122 54. Altered application 15 June 1982 on 92G/7; now centered at 49 16 - 122 53.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Name derived from postions of the two adjoining municipalities - Coquitlam and Burnaby - for the purpose of providing a post office. Burquitlam Post Office opened 1 October 1906, Peter Lawson postmaster. Burquitlam PO amalgamated as a sub-office of New Westminster Post Office 1 August 1946. Community area delineated June 1982 by Coquitlam Planning Department: north of the golf course; east of North Road; south of Port Moody city limits; west of Robinson. Burnaby Planning Department doesn't use the name.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office